If your home is in dire need of re-painting, you’ll likely find yourself debating whether it is worth hiring a professional painter to help you or, if you should just crack on and tackle the job yourself.
That, and if you do go down the route of hiring a professional painter, how can you know for certain if they are any good or not? When spending so much money on a service, it is perfectly natural to want to receive the very best quality – and in this article, we’ll tell you how!
Here’s everything you need to know…
Should I hire a painter or paint myself? What are the pros and cons of each option?
It’s no secret that painting your home is a time-consuming and physically demanding task, but is it worth it? Let’s weigh up the pros and cons of hiring a professional painter Vs. doing it yourself:
Hiring a Painter
- Time-saving: Professional painters have the experience and expertise to complete the job efficiently, thus saving your valuable time.
- Quality results: Painters are trained to deliver high-quality finishes, ensuring a professional and polished look for your home (it may look easy, but it isn’t).
- Skill and knowledge: Painters possess the necessary skills, techniques, and product knowledge to successfully handle different surfaces and provide expert advice.
- Convenience: Hiring a painter means you won’t have to worry about purchasing any materials, preparing surfaces, or cleaning up afterwards.
- Cost: Hiring a painter is more expensive than doing it yourself – which can be unappealing if you are on a budget. However, this cost is justified by the quality of work and time saved (assuming you work with the best of the best).
Painting Yourself / DIY
- Cost savings: Painting your home by yourself eliminates labour costs, potentially saving you a significant amount of money in the short term.
- Personal satisfaction: Of course, completing a painting project all by yourself can be fulfilling and give you a sense of accomplishment.
- Flexibility: You will have full control over the process, including colour selection, scheduling, and the pace of the project.
- Time and effort: Painting a single room requires careful preparation (let alone your entire house), including cleaning, sanding, and taping (to name a few). It can also be physically demanding and time-consuming, especially for larger projects undertaken by those with little experience.
- Skill and expertise: Achieving professional-looking results ain’t easy – especially if you lack the experience or knowledge of proper techniques.
- Potential mistakes: Inadequate surface preparation, improper paint application, or colour selection issues are just a few of the many things that can go wrong when inexperienced hands try painting their home. It’s also possible to miss underlying issues, such as painting over water stains from a leaking roof as opposed to getting to the root of the problem.
How do I know if a painter is good?
When hiring a painter, you need to know that they are reliable, skilled, and capable of delivering the awesome results you desire. As such, you should consider the following factors before rushing in and making a decision:
- Experience and reputation: Look for professional painters with a solid track record and positive customer reviews like Platinum 3 Painters and Decorators. Experience often indicates their ability to handle different projects and challenges and deliver the same quality results for you too!
- Portfolio and references: Ask for a portfolio of their previous work or request references from past clients/friends and family. This will give you an idea of their painting style, attention to detail, and overall professionalism.
- Licensing and insurance: Be sure to verify if the painter holds all of the necessary licenses and insurance coverage. This will ensure that they meet the required standards and ultimately protect you from liability in case of accidents or damages.
- Written estimate and contract: A reputable painter will provide you with a detailed written estimate that includes the scope of work, the materials to be used, and the estimated timeframe. A would-be painter will not.
- Communication and professionalism: A good painter will communicate with you effectively, listen to your needs intently, and address any concerns you may have directly. Professionalism, punctuality, and respect for your property are important factors to consider when looking for the right painter for you.
What is the average cost for residential painting services in Australia?
Naturally, the cost of residential painting services in Australia varies significantly depending on a variety of factors. In any case, let’s share some averages for your convenience:
- Interior painting: The average cost for interior painting in Australia ranges from $30 to $60 per square meter. This cost typically includes labour, paint, and basic surface preparation.
- Exterior painting: The average cost for exterior painting in Australia is typically higher than interior painting due to additional safety factors like scaffolding, surface repairs, and weatherproofing. Costs can range from around $40 to $70 per square meter.
Remember, these are merely approximations. If you want an accurate quotation for your home painting project, we recommend reaching out to a few reputable companies and requesting some more information.
Why do painters charge so much?
In case you are wondering why professional painters charge so much, here are a few important factors you may have missed:
- Skill and expertise: Professional painters hone their skills through experience and training, allowing them to deliver high-quality results. Their expertise justifies the higher cost compared to a DIY approach (remember, they paint houses every single day).
- Time and labour: Painting a room or an entire house requires significant time and physical effort. Painters charge for their physical labour, which includes surface preparation, paint application, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Tools and materials: Professional painters invest in high-quality tools, equipment, and materials in order to deliver the best finishes. The cost of these resources will be factored into their pricing as well.
- Insurance and overheads: The best painters will typically carry liability insurance to protect themselves and their clients. Additionally, they have loads of overhead costs such as advertising, transportation/fuel costs, and other critical business expenses that contribute to the overall price.
- Warranty and guarantees: Reputable painters should offer warranties or guarantees on their workmanship and materials. This added assurance often comes with a higher price tag – but is justified when you receive an unparalleled service.
- Market demand: Don’t forget that the cost of painting services is also influenced by supply and demand. If there is high demand for painters in your local area, then the prices may be higher due to the increased competition for their services. Business is business, after all.
And that about sums up everything you need to know. Let’s have a quick recap of what we’ve learned:
- There are some advantages to painting your home by yourself if you have the confidence. However, it is generally recommended that you hire the pros for the best results.
- The best way to identify if a painter is reliable is by researching them. Look for customer reviews and previous success stories before making any decisions.
- The average cost for painting services in Australia is between AUD $30 and $70 per square metre.
- While it may appear that professional painting services are expensive in Australia, when you weigh up all of the factors involved, you will soon understand that it is justified – especially when you have a gorgeous interior with a flawless finish throughout.